Levels of Success looks at the earning potential of apprenticeships versus degrees, finding that the very best apprenticeships (at level 5) result in greater lifetime earnings than degrees from non-Russell Group universities. But, significant reform of the system is needed. There are not enough of these best apprenticeships, with most being at level 2 (GCSE) and level 3 (A-level) standard.
- Government, employers and other providers should work together to provide more advanced and higher apprenticeships.
- Level 3 should become the norm for young people through automatic progression from level 2.
- The Careers and Enterprise Company should promote apprenticeships further.
- The government should launch a bigger apprenticeships awareness campaign.
- Gender and socio-economic inequalities within the apprenticeship sector need to be reduced.
- The government should reform and simplify the vocational qualification system.